Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sprint to the finish

The rain we did get on Wednesday was thankfully shortlived and Thursday - after the morning fog lifted - came with decent and warm weather. It gave us the chance to do the leaking valley "the right way", even though it'd result in a real waste of this expensive stuff (Polyglass). Probably have four layers in a few areas, but better to leave it and make sure the top layer is "solid". The rest will eventually (summer heat) fuse together to form a solid mass of "hard core" roofing felt.

Mike dug up for foundation drainage and installed that with Tom's guidance/direction. This ended up being somewhat of a rush job, and I was not too happy with how the connection was finally done. The main gutter drain hits a sharp 90 and it'll eventually clog with debris up a little used pipe. Tom offered to redo it, but I declined. It was more important that he continued inside and finished the sheathing. I can always take care of the drainage later so I asked them to just leave it exposed. Need a few days to think about how it can be done better.

When the guys left in the late afternoon, essentially all the framing work had been completed. It was time for me to start cleaning up the drive way from the "big stuff". Dad and I went at it for a while, but it was not too long until I cursed and jumped high in the air: I had stepped on a nail, or rather on TWO nails! Both penetrated my clog, but only one got into the foot, just behind the toes. Luckily I'm still pretty fast and it really never got any chance to penetrate deep inside. Up to date on Tetanus shots, so I should be OK.
In retrospect, if this is the only incident (apart from sliding off the roof) we've had, I'm still pretty happy.





No comments: