Monday, July 20, 2009

Priming sucks

As great as the Cabot stain was to apply on new wood, as difficult is their "problem solver oil based primer.

And I thought scraping and sanding was "hell". No, applying this primer was likely worse. Tempted to dilute it to make it easier to work with, but it specifically states on the can "do not thin", so I decided to fight it out.

Luckliy, there is not THAT much that need to be done this year (south side and over old deck), but it is more than enough. Had I known that it'd be this tough, I would probably have ripped the old (very dense wood, good quality) fascia boards off, and replaced them with new cedar boards. It would not had been cheap (why does it feel like highway robbery to buy cedar, very abundant around here...), but in retrospect, I would only have had to stain the cedar and could have left the soffit, overhangs, and rafter tails in their old boring cream color.

OK, this will look better for sure.

No comments: